What is Disability Employment Services (DES)?
You may often hear about are-able as a provider of Disability Employment Services or DES, but wonder what exactly is Disability Employment Services?
Are-able Disability Employment Services (DES) helps people with disability, injury or health conditions find and keep a job.
Getting to know you
Once we start working with you, you will be assigned an Employment Consultant (EC) who will assist you at every step of the way. Your EC will support you individually, getting to know your interests, skills, qualifications and experience. They will work with you to find a job or training option which supports your goals.
To ensure you are ready for work, your EC will help you build skills and address any barriers you face in the workplace. Are-able provides practical hands-on training, long-term support, and can help you find the right job.
Working at a pace that suits you, our ECs will work with you to find employment that best matches your needs and capabilities. Finding out what works for you is our top priority.
Preparing for employment
We work with a wide range of services to help you overcome personal challenges. Are-able DES provides a range of assistance tailored to each of our clients which may include:
- Regular support meetings
- Assisting you with job applications, including resume and cover letter
- Assessing your strengths and skills
- Conducting practice job interviews
- Helping you understand how to search for jobs
- Career guidance
- Helping you access other services that provide support for non-employment issues
- Speaking to employers on your behalf about possible jobs
- Using our existing network of employers to find you a job
- Accessing the hidden job market
- Offering you relevant training and skills building
- Offering education and training to your co-workers to create a supportive workplace (if required)
- Funding to help you prepare for and/or obtain job opportunities.
Once we have helped you find a job, you will then receive as much or as little support as necessary. You will continue to see your Employment Consultant who will ensure:
- You are supported to undertake the tasks that match your abilities
- We help both you and your employer to discuss and understand areas that help you fulfil the job requirements
- You are working under the right employment conditions, such as being paid at the correct rate and receiving entitlements such as superannuation, sick and annual leave, meal breaks, penalty rates, etc
- You are working in a safe, inclusive, and supportive environment
- Your employer and colleagues receive any necessary training
- You are working toward future independence in the workplace
- You have any necessary modifications or adaptive equipment provided to you in the workplace
You can talk to your EC about how your future aspirations, and how we can help you achieve them.
To get started, simply register through a Services Australia referral or contact your local are-able office and a friendly Consultant will guide you through the process. Visit https://areable.org.au/employment-services/disability-employment-services for more contact information.